Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 946 total)

  • Reply To: Development Is Fun

    Developing software taught me to look ahead, anticipate results based on past events and current conditions.  This has affected my whole life, but it also drives my wife crazy when...

    Rick
    If you do a half-assed job of things, folks will ask 'why did this ass only do half the job?'

  • Reply To: Your Favorite Quotes

    I read one recently that really made me think.  Someone posted:  "Experience doesn't expire."   I think the person was making a point regarding the value of experience to those with...

    Rick
    If you do a half-assed job of things, folks will ask 'why did this ass only do half the job?'

  • Reply To: A question about how to store the address in the database

    Put it in a seperate table so you are not accessing it unless needed.

    Rick
    If you do a half-assed job of things, folks will ask 'why did this ass only do half the job?'

  • Reply To: Preserving Data

    I've had my own NAS system in home office for 5-6 years now and feel pretty secure.  Biggest risk now is fire or midwest tornados.  I have plenty of backup...

    Rick
    If you do a half-assed job of things, folks will ask 'why did this ass only do half the job?'

  • Reply To: Learn From History

    I have put this out here before, but will relate this experience again.  Over my 42-year IT career I worked with hardware/software from three major vendors and many software packages...

    Rick
    If you do a half-assed job of things, folks will ask 'why did this ass only do half the job?'

  • Reply To: Implicit Conversions Cripple SQL Server

    I don't mean to disparage anyone but I think this is exactly why those newer in the SQL Server arena need to work with and learn from those with years...

    Rick
    If you do a half-assed job of things, folks will ask 'why did this ass only do half the job?'

  • Reply To: The Degradation of the Turing Test

    Steve, I agree that the quality of things online has deteriated over time, especially on the community called LinkedIn.  I read that one for entertainment now.  But I really think...

    Rick
    If you do a half-assed job of things, folks will ask 'why did this ass only do half the job?'

  • Reply To: How Do the Experts Become Experts?

    Don't ever call yourself an expert.  That is for others to determine and decide.

    Rick
    If you do a half-assed job of things, folks will ask 'why did this ass only do half the job?'

  • Reply To: Doing the Little Things

    My attention to little things is a constant source of irritation to my wife.  Forty-two years in IT instilled habits of noticing details, considering the source, anticipating the potential effects,...

    Rick
    If you do a half-assed job of things, folks will ask 'why did this ass only do half the job?'

  • Reply To: Everything is the right question away

    A few days ago I read an interesting view that said:

    "AI is not predictive.  It is just statistical echoes of past data".

     

    Rick
    If you do a half-assed job of things, folks will ask 'why did this ass only do half the job?'

  • Reply To: Hidden Heroes

    David, thanks for the film pointer.  We're retired and always looking for our entertainment.

    I think early on I learned that much of our satisfaction for a job well done in...

    • This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by skeleton567.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by skeleton567.

    Rick
    If you do a half-assed job of things, folks will ask 'why did this ass only do half the job?'

  • Reply To: Hidden Heroes

    Appreciation can happen.  On one occasion, after getting a fairly large project implemented one of the company owners called me to his office and told me to schedule a vacation...

    • This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by skeleton567.

    Rick
    If you do a half-assed job of things, folks will ask 'why did this ass only do half the job?'

  • Reply To: Writing as an Art and a Job

    I'll also throw in here a bit of humor I experienced last Monday that illustrated the art of writing.

    I had a medical appointment to which my wife and daughter-in-law accompanied...

    Rick
    If you do a half-assed job of things, folks will ask 'why did this ass only do half the job?'

  • Reply To: Writing as an Art and a Job

    Good morning Steve. Your writing about writing this morning made me think. And isn't that what writing is supposed to be all about?

    I think you point out precisely the problem...

    Rick
    If you do a half-assed job of things, folks will ask 'why did this ass only do half the job?'

  • Reply To: Rollback vs. Roll Forward

    Backward or forward? I would say it depends.

    I think the most important skill for us DBA's, maybe even more than technical, is critical thinking under pressure. The ability to think...

    Rick
    If you do a half-assed job of things, folks will ask 'why did this ass only do half the job?'

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 946 total)